About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
Wanna be nerdy writer girl calling it how I see it.

January 21, 2011

Chaaaa chaaa chaaa CHANGES!

My son is driving. I don’t know how it happened. I just woke up one day and there he stood, permit in hand, extra big cheesy grin, asking if there was “anywhere he could drive me.” Don’t get me wrong, I know we signed him up for driver’s education. I know he attended the classes. I even know my husband drove him to the DMV to take the test for his driver’s permit (Did I really agree to that?). I’m convinced I was in a fog when all of this happened.

When did he become a man who shaves, has an adult sense of humor and drives? My sweet boy, more sensitive than most, has become one of the guys. AUGH!

I overhear him and his friends talking. They are slightly vulgar yet still afraid to step too far over the line (at least when they are in each other’s homes and within ear shot of “the ‘rents”). The jokes about anatomy fly freely. The language is questionable but not outrageous. Hugs are rationed these days and, in his opinion, not required on a daily basis.

My son is a sophomore in high school this year and thinking about all of the “big stuff” he has to look forward to over the next few years overwhelms me. There will be girlfriends, unsupervised social functions, driving without a parent in the car, prom, graduation…THE NAVY, which he has determined is his best shot at his “lifelong dream” of living in Japan!! Japan? What? Does he know how far away that is?? Of course he does! Somebody pass the straight razor.

I know I’m lucky. He’s a good person who cares about other people and their feelings. He gets good grades. He stays out of trouble and makes me PROUD every day. My job here is done, right?! What if I don't want to quit this job? What if this is the job I want forever?? The job I never want to retire from.

I know we will always be his parents but he won’t always NEED us. Sadly, he won’t live at home forever. He won’t rely on us for shelter, sustenance and the almighty dollar. He will go away and make his own life, which he’ll include us in, but it won’t be the same. This is hard pill to swallow.

I’ve spent a lot of time contemplating this lately and it dawned on me that as he grows and changes, so does my life. We now go out with friends but don’t have to search for a babysitter, watch rated R movies when he’s in the room and we no longer feel the need to filter our language in front of the K. I. D.

Our future life will include, among other things, travel, more “adult” restaurants and quite possibly some dancing naked in the living room! That isn’t so bad, is it? I’m … kind of … dare I say …. hesitantly …. looking forward to it!

How do you get through times of change?  Do you put the brakes on and try to wait it out?  Do you roll with the punches?  Keep your head up and move forward?

4 comments:

  1. Aw, great post, Michelle.

    Changes. Hm. Typically, I freak out for a while, then I get quiet, then I buckle down and roll with it. Life changes, big life changes, have always been hard for me. I'm a creature of comfort and familiarity.

    As for your son, the bond that you have created with him will last him a lifetime. I know, though. For me, the toughest part of parenting is that it's a long process of letting go, little by little. Ya know?

    God, I do believe by the time Elena moves out, I'll be so old that dancing naked would injure anyone within a 10 mile radius. Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Donna. I like my blog but am, by nature, very private. I've had this blog done since very early (insomnia hour) this morning and it took me all day to publish it!!

    As for Elana...she's 8, not 8 months! I see lots of naked dancing in your future!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two have done an AWESOME Job with your son! Keep your head up, move forward with your Great Parents award in one hand and a drink in the other!

    ReplyDelete